Non-Fungible Tokens have been a hot topic in the gaming world as they provide a unique and secure way of owning virtual assets. NFTs are unique digital assets that can represent anything, including virtual goods, collectibles, and even real-world assets. With the rise of NFTs, the gaming industry has seen a surge in NFT-based games that offer players ownership and control over their virtual assets.
Unreal Engine, a popular game engine used by many game developers, has been at the forefront of NFT-based game development. The engine offers a powerful set of tools and features that make it easy for developers to create NFT-based games with high-quality graphics, interactive elements, and engaging gameplay.
To build NFT-based games using Unreal Engine, it is important to have a solid understanding of game development, blockchain technology, and Unreal Engine’s Blueprint scripting language.
Why Use Unreal Engine to Build NFT-Based Games?
Unreal Engine is a game engine developed by Epic Games, used primarily for the creation and development of video games. It is a suite of integrated tools for game design, digital content creation, and interactive environments. Unreal Engine offers a range of features including advanced graphics and physics simulation, scripting, animation, and AI. It is widely used in the gaming industry and supports multiple platforms, including PC, consoles, mobile, and virtual reality devices.
Here is why unreal engine is the best gaming engine to build NFT-based games.
Unreal Engine supports development for various platforms, including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and more.
Unreal Engine offers advanced rendering capabilities with real-time visualization and high-quality graphics, making it ideal for game development, VR, and AR projects.
Unreal Engine has a large community of developers, designers, and artists who can offer support and share their experience and knowledge.
Unreal Engine can integrate with various tools, such as Photoshop, Maya, and Visual Studio, allowing developers to work with their preferred tools and toolsets.
Unreal Engine has an extensive documentation library, offering developers easy access to information and tutorials, making it easier to learn and develop with the engine.
Unreal Engine offers a royalty-based licensing model, allowing developers to keep more of their profits, compared to other engines that charge large upfront fees.
Unreal Engine offers a highly customizable framework, allowing developers to create their own plugins, assets, and tools, and make modifications to existing ones.
Unreal Engine is optimized for mobile devices, offering developers the ability to create high-quality games and apps with performance and power efficiency.
Unreal Engine offers built-in networking and multiplayer support, allowing developers to create games that support multiplayer and online play.
Additional Read: NFT Game Development Cost: All You Need to Know
Popular NFT-Based Games?
Certain platforms have positioned themselves as the major highlight of the NFT gaming universe. Because they have effectively blended NFTs with popular gaming themes, these games are at the forefront of the current NFT craze.
- Axie Infinity: A blockchain-based game where players can breed, raise, and battle creatures called Axies. Players can also trade and sell Axies on the marketplace.
- CryptoKitties: A virtual cat breeding and collecting game where players can buy, sell, and trade unique digital cats on the Ethereum blockchain.
- Decentraland: A virtual world where players can create, buy, and sell content, as well as participate in games and events. Decentraland uses its own cryptocurrency, MANA, to power transactions within the virtual world.
- The Sandbox: A voxel-based game where players can create, play, and monetize their own games and experiences. The Sandbox has its own token, SAND, which is used for transactions and content ownership within the game.
- Gods Unchained: A collectible card game where players can buy, sell, and trade digital cards on the Ethereum blockchain.
- NBA Top Shot: A basketball-themed game that allows players to purchase, trade, and collect unique moments from past NBA games in the form of digital collectibles.
- Rarible: A platform for buying, selling, and trading unique digital assets such as artwork, videos, and music. Rarible uses the RARI token to power transactions on the platform.
How to Build NFT-Based Games Using Unreal Engine?
Building NFT-based games using Unreal Engine is a multi-step process that involves creating and coding the game logic, integrating NFT assets, and finally deploying the game. Here are the steps to build NFT-based games using Unreal Engine:
Create the game logic
Start by designing the game mechanics, rules, and objectives. Decide on the type of NFTs you want to use in the game and the role they will play in the game.
Integrate NFT assets
Create and import NFT assets into Unreal Engine, such as characters, items, or game tokens. Assign unique ID numbers to each NFT so that they can be easily tracked and traded in the game.
Develop the game code
Use Unreal Engine’s Blueprint scripting language to build the game mechanics, including the ability to trade NFTs. Code the game logic for NFTs such as buying, selling, and trading.
Connect to blockchain
Connect the game to the blockchain network you are using for NFTs, such as Ethereum or Binance Smart Chain. Ensure that the NFTs are stored on the blockchain and that the game logic is properly integrated with the blockchain.
Deploy the game
Finally, publish and deploy the game on the platform you have chosen, such as a game store, website, or social media.
Unreal Engine is a powerful tool for building NFT-based games. With its robust set of tools and features, developers can create high-quality NFT-based games that provide players with ownership and control over their virtual assets. Whether you’re a seasoned game developer or just starting out, Unreal Engine provides a comprehensive platform for building NFT-based games.